View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by BluenosePacific
Mariner BC Canada
Joined Feb 2012
195 Posts
Discussion
How Best to Stabilize

I'm asking for your input on a good way to control roll on my 20' (6m), pedal powered hydrofoil.

Attempts to do it manually have failed.

It seems human reaction time is insufficient to accomplish the task.

The stumbling block is the buoyant bulb which produces 1/3 of the lift required to achieve "flight".

While allowing for smaller hydrofoils (less drag), it produces incredible roll instability.

One way to manage this is by flooding the bulb at low velocities eliminating buoyancy.

CO2 purging once making way restores buoyancy and can be more effectively managed by control surfaces.

Independant foil control would be the preferred method but a centre canard (as shown) may be necessary.

The servo would be slide mounted to allow ride height control as velocity increases.

This would be controlled by a mechanical surface sensing wand geared to move the servo and control rods up and down accordingly.

The use of a canard would eliminate this complexity but add more wetted surface area.

There is only 100 watts available from the prop at steady state, sustained flight, which is the objective.

No radio is used here but the electronics from your hobby may be helpful.

I would ask for your proposed solution and then perhaps some dialogue to brainstorm a best case scenario.

The only caveat I would put out there is it needs to be relatively simple, plug and play.

On my wish list would also be light weight and low power consumption.

This is a personal project only for my use, no commercial gain or profit.

Thanking you abundantly in advance.

This video may help:

HYDROFOIL -- High flying torpedo or low flying aircraft? Ray Vellinga edited video (5 min 59 sec)
BluenosePacific is offline Find More Posts by BluenosePacific
Last edited by BluenosePacific; Nov 25, 2012 at 04:06 PM.