Thread: Discussion What a lousy day flying.....
View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by builderdude
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
3,520 Posts
I would recommend the Bixler Sky Surfer. It is a large plane with about an 8 ft wingspan and it has a really great wing. The larger your craft, the better it will be in the wind, as a general rule of thumb. Also, the Bixler has both ailerons as well as flaps. If the Bixler was out when I was first learning, that would have been my first choice.

I do not recommend the T-28 for one main reason. It is way too roll-happy. I'd have to say reserve planes with very short wing moments like that for intermediate flying.
I tried a T-28 when I was new too, but I found it hard to control for that reason.

I think the Cessna would be a nice choice, but if you're looking for a good high-wing plane for training, I think you should consider the Multiplex Fun-Cub. What a great plane that is! And I've found Multiplex planes to be extremely durable, like the Eveready Bunny! I learned on a Multiplex Easystar and once tried to fly it through a barbed wire fence at full speed. It survived, although I had to carve a block of balsa and replace a section of leading edge.

I do not recommend an original Easystar though because #1, it is almost fatally underpowered with the Speed 400 brushed motor and tiny 5" prop, #2, it is a tail feather 3-channel plane and in that form it has terrible wind handling qualities, and #3, for a tail feather plane, it has an almost fatally small rudder.
BUT...once you fix all those problems, it too is an excellent choice.
So if you wanted to consider an Easy Star II (has ailerons), it should do well in wind.

However, the Bixler is probably your best choice.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude