View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:53 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,162 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments, SJ! I'm enjoying the Competitor build immensely - though don't hold your breath for the Chief!!!

After a couple of abortive trips to the field - one where the wind made it 'a bit sporting' (ie bloody hairy!) and another where for some reason the Lipo had gone open circuit (something internal - with that lipo only being 3 a time, I'm not going to mess about with it) - yesterday was calm enough to check out the extra thrustline adjustments and removal of some nose weight.

I reckon the thrustline is now fine - I'll post a video as soon as the Vimeo pixies have completed their conversion work on it. On full throttle, the model enters a sustainable climb, with a steady left hand bank.

Moving the CG back (need to check where it is now) has not shown any hint of a stall, but the glide is a little flatter. I could possibly move it back even further? Although I don't need a burst of throttle to flare for landing any more, 'up' elevator is still not having any flaring effect at landing speeds with no propwash - and little effect at flying speeds with propwash. Would this possibly be improved by moving the CG back a little further? Generally, the model is totally stable in flight.

I'm really enjoying learning about the aerodynamics here! I'm hesitant to say that anything is now correct, as I have nothing to compare to - but I reckon that it's getting close! I can refit the noseblock now..

When converted, the first video will be a short one hopefully showing the climb, steady flight, and glide; and the second is a longer version of the same for those who have the time or inclination to watch a vintage model ambling around the sky....

Short:
Ajax short (0 min 0 sec)

Long:
Ajax long (0 min 0 sec)
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Nov 25, 2012 at 04:12 AM.