View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by marvmattporsche
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Aug 2007
9 Posts
Sweet!

I would luv to have one of these kits. Please let me know when you will have one available.

Thanks,
Marvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof4 View Post
A few weeks ago a poster asked about the Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk and its ability to fly Classic Pattern. The thread took some twists and turns and the next thing you know Bo posted a picture of the most beautiful Classic I have ever seen, the MK Super Chipmunk 120s. I was instantly in love and knew that had to be my next project.

I wasn't shy about my affection for design and the next thing you know David chimes in that wanted one too. Thankfully for me David is a CAD wizard and an all-around great guy. Off-line we decided to work together to build electric versions of this plane. As always, Kevin has been helpful in sharing ideas as well. We have been emailing ideas back and forth and are now going public to share our plans to design and build the MK Super Chipmunk 120"e".

The plane will be faithful to its original design but will be constructed with a smooth running electric motor for power. We have also decided to construct the wing and stabalizers with a foam core technique.

Bo has been kind enough to offer to send the Cowl and Canopy from his MK origiinal kit to me so that we can have them reproduced. We cannot thank him enough for his kindness and generosity on this!!

Set Up:

Scorpion 4025-12 440 KV Motor
80-100 amp ESC
15" or 16" prop
6s 5000 mAh battery
MK Mechanical or E-Flight Electric Retracts

I have been extremely happy with my Scorpion Motor so I have convinced David to design the plane with the 4025-12 in mind. In fact, he has already purchased one and has remarked how impressed he is with the quality. This motor has a slighlty lower KV than the one used on my C4e. The design of the Super Chipmunk 120e will allow us to swing a bigger prop than my Conquest IVe. We are hopful to keep the plane in the 8.5 lbs range which should give it outstanding performance.

As with all my projects it will be SLOW. Work and family dominate my time so it will take me time. I suspect David will beat me to the air but quite some time, but that's ok. It will be cool to have matching Chippys; one on West Coast and one on the East Coast.

My goal with this project is to have a one-of-a-kind plane that I can use to fly in Classic Pattern and AMA Pattern (turn-around). I just cant bring myself to fly a pregnant guppy!

David and I will share this thread and he is poised to add post #2 and reserve post #3 right after this. We look forward to input from all of you through the process. I really appreciated the support that I received on my Conquest IVe thread and hope that we receive the same here.

Doug
marvmattporsche is offline Find More Posts by marvmattporsche