View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by DanL
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,499 Posts
meatbomber,
Tomorrow I will rig a spring loaded dummy pulley to measure distances required for rotation and to control slack on each set of braces: forecourse and top and maincourse and top (the other yards just rotate with the ones below)
I corrected the drawing a bit and added lines to show braces as you suggested.
Will take pics as I test further.
Brooks, thanks as always for your sailing expertise. I just don't have that knowledge set yet. Need to sail more and observe more - I"m usually focusing on taking pics and firing carronades. I do know that I get really good tacking capability when I use the crossover headsails, so I'll keep those separately controlled. I have no clue on the driver. I've tried playing with it, but it just seems to do its own thing - usually too slack or too full. I need to figure out if it's my inability to control it properly (very probably) or if it needs to be re-rigged for more precise control or a non-linear control curve. My vision is not that great, so even from a chase boat I can't seem to judge sail position too accurately and end up simple trying to respond to the gross movement of the hull and how far it's listing over.
Feels good to be working on the hobby again. Thanks to Gary, Andrew, Tim and others on posting their SC&H builds to get me going again.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL