View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:23 AM
Find More Posts by highviz
Joined Mar 2009
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
Taking another shot at a folding quad. This one is to accommodate 10" props and a Medium gopro FOV.This makes the main body longer which allows the legs to fold inwards but also makes it more difficult to get that body ridgid enough.

It not quite working on the stiffness side of things. I know if I glue the wood layers it will be super stiff but that defeats the replaceability aspect of components. Maybe I glue one side to the inner core and leave the other side bolt on. Maybe screw in to save weight.

phil
The other thing that would help the stiffness is to increase the spacing between upper and lower plates. The increased length of the spacers would add minimal extra weight. Could move your existing square re-inforcing plates from outside the frame to inside, then just make the other spacers longer.

My folding X8 Octo has 1 5/8" (42mm) spacing between top and bottom plates and is very rigid. The plates are 2mm ply with a thin glass / epoxy coating for durability. Motor to motor spacing is 800 mm.

Malcolm
highviz is online now Find More Posts by highviz