Thread: New Product ST Models Blaze Hotliner
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
2,053 Posts
I won't enter any discussions if they proceed in to any heat but I'll try to clarify any aspects of what I've said or meant.

We are really lucky in that our flying field is owned by a farming family. Our area is part of their own strip for their own personal full size light aircraft but these are rarely in use and, obviously, we all respect the use of both models and F/S.

Because there are cattle in use (not on the flying strip areas) there are numerous fences. The one you see in the background is somewhat foreshortened by the photo but ahead and relatively close to the Blaze is a similar meter+ high wire fence. Just ahead of that is a low single row electric fence but only 600mm or so high. This all sounds much more complicated than it really is but they are hazards and you have to be aware of them. I'll be as honest as I always try to be in that to some degree these difficulties actually sharpen your flying greatly. When living for a while in the UK we flew on a disused war time airfield and because of the almost unlimited availability of space one became very casual about flying.

Now, there is discussion about power, whether on or off etc. When I used to fly sailplanes such as Paragon, Olympic and similar models sometimes, if my memory is right, called California floaters the only way was down. As I said earlier planning your landing usually started several circuits high simply because you had to figure out where you intended to put the model down. Aids were virtually nil regarding electronics on transmitters (I didn't have rates for quite some time) and the occasional fitment of on/off air brakes to some models could be a huge help but you still had to plan. For most forget ailerons and crow/butterfly etc was non-existent.

Our modern electric sailplane even in a model like the basic Radian or an Easy Glider Pro is a revelation simply because we accept all of the aids as being normal. I'm not whinging because if used properly they make life much easier and I fall into the category that does use these aids. But every benefit brings a certain degree of failure to make the very best out of the skills and knowledge you might acquire without them.

I wish each and every flier the best but all the bells and whistles around are unlikely to teach you to fly properly but they improve the skills as your flying progresses.

We don't have it here but hope you had a great Thanks Giving.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson