Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by StarHopper44
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post

In actuality, if there were an accident, then at a minimal the pilot did not understand the flight characteristics of their plane and let themselves get into a situation that is dangerous.

The part of your statement quoted above is the key to the entire premise, except for one detail which could be added to make it more germane to my point: "...did not understand the flight characteristics of their plane and how those characteristics interrelate with the conditions present and let themselves get into a situation..."

In the original article I cited, it was by an airline pilot, titled 'Anatomy of a Takeof', in which he notes as his central theme that taking off per se is not his biggest concern when taking off - his biggest concern is stopping. Here's the exact words:

"I don’t worry about taking off–I worry about stopping.

Why? This sounds so simple that when you think about it, you’ll have to agree: aircraft are made to fly–not drag race.

Huh?

Look, accelerating 85 tons to nearly 200 miles per hour builds tremendous kinetic energy. Not a problem for the landing gear if you take off because it’s simply rolling. But if you must stop, the brakes and wing-located speed brakes have to dissipate that energy within the length of the asphalt ahead. The runway length is finite, the aircraft weight is unchangeable once you’re rolling. So where is the point of no return, the point after which there’s not enough runway to stop?"

The emboldened sentence is the key to what I was saying to David.

It is an absolute fact that every time I fly with 'the guys' at our club field - EVERY time - I see guys make, for the point of brevity, 'poor decisions' as to going around to make a good landing. It seems that they make a decision not in the best interest of their plane's surviving unscathed, but as a challenge of, "I can get this thing down, this time! And every day, I see them walk out into the bean field to retrieve their plane and/or the broken pieces, or at best, making an unneccessarily long walk all the way to the end of our 850' runway & back in retrieving their plane.

They didn't know, or at least admit to themselves, at what point the No-Go decision took precedence in the order of things, combining the characteristics of the plane with the conditions present at - or before, actually, the decision-making point. And not just rookies - I see it from those and the experienced pilots as well. Almost at the moment of turning onto final, I can see trouble coming in nearly every case that it does, and I'm standing there thinking "Go around Go around GO AROUND" but no, they don't. It's like they're thinking "I'm landing, and land I shall, NOW, come hell or high water." AND IT DRIVES ME NUTS! I've even seen our club's head instructor do it. Repeatedly. I've seen him yelling LANDING instructions to a student who I knew had made the decision to go around! "Stall it into the beans!!" 'The Thing' that gets me is, I can see these guys missing the decision point - why can't they?!? But I'm over-elaborating.

Now, to get back to David & the point at hand. Perhaps you were there, or have talked to David via the 'back channels' - I don't know. I wasn't & haven't, and I can't read his mind, so I can't presume to know what David was thinking when he wrote the caption for the picture he posted. So all I have to go on is what he wrote and the picture itself. To the best of my memory it was in conjunction to his post about having difficulty bringing his Blaze down in a 'short area'. I couldn't help thinking the two were connected. The caption itself says: "Bringing the Blaze in at our field (yet to hop over the fence but it does!) with left aileron to turn on to the strip. The wind is quarter crosswind and just a tad of throttle on."

"(yet to hop over the fence but it does!)" -- I see a fence behind his plane. But the words say "yet to". This can only (and did) indicate to me there's another fence ahead of his plane - out of the picture - he has yet to hop. And that he does hop it.

"...and just a tad of throttle on." The picture clearly shows that. How you know David was doing that to reduce speed, I have no earthly idea. I took it as, he has power on to make that fence he has yet to hop. Good decision, I thought. Rather than try to only glide it over that (in my mind) final hurdle before touching down. 'Good' in that, he's maintaining power if needed for a go-around, eg if between that last hurdle & actual throttle chop for set-down, trouble develops.

Perhaps I completely mistook David's words, & you somehow know better. But all I had to work with was to take them at face value along with what I saw in the picture, and his topical prefacing remarks about getting into a shortened field. But in any regard, I stand completely behind what I said - in that the cited article covers that point - ie of maintaining power during landing. If you feel my remarks were "incorrect or inaccurate", so be it.

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving!
~Hopper
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member