View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by erkq
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
10,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixDeuces View Post
I haven't checked in here in a while, but I wanted to share a recent discovery with the Beast. I don't know if anyone has run into this before, but thought maybe I could save someone the headaches I went through.

Over the past month or so, I started to get some oscillation on the ailerons under power, aka wing waggle.

At first, I thought maybe a servo was getting jittery. I disassembled, cleaned and lubricated them both, but it didn't help. Next I spent time getting all of the slop out of the linkages, also with no result.

I did more testing, and realized it was only happening under power. (The plane flew nice and straight in a vertical dive.) So, I tried some other props. I replaced the stocker with a GWS 5030, which made things WAY worse. Next, a 5040, which made things a lot better. That pretty much confirmed my suspicion... an out of balance prop was creating a vibration that was getting into a harmonic with the AS3X as it tried to compensate..

When I got home, I balanced the motor, then the prop. The next flight was smooth as silk! Problem solved.
Thank you... yes... this balance solution has long been known and discussed. AS3X definitely does not like vibes!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq