View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by flyingfitz737
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Dec 2011
262 Posts
That is my build thread. It was a great project. The ducted prop configuration was underpowered. You can see that in the videos imbedded in the thread. I reduced the KV of the motor and increased the pitch and performance improved while still running a 30-40 amp speed control on 3s. I would go with some kind of a lightweight fan unit if I were to do it again. The thrust line was always an issue. The flat bottom wing made it easy to build but having the exhaust exit up high caused pitch issues that were improved but never overcome. Power off the airplane floated like a feather.

The concept of a lightweight depron viggen is a good one. It is a cool looking airplane that is not modeled very much. Lots of wing area. I would not get too wrapped up in moving canards and other gizmos. Built light with a fixed canard with a little incidence like Ziroli has on his plans, this airplane will fly well if you get the thrust line issues worked out.

I am not sure if the plans are still available. The Ziroli plans would be a great place to start. The fuse shape is very rounded which makes building more labor intensive but makes for a great looking plane. I also experimented with .7 oz glass cloth over the depron to make the foam more dent resistant. It worked well but added weight. Even with the cloth, the model was very light for what it was.

Good luck!

Scott
flyingfitz737 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfitz737
Last edited by flyingfitz737; Nov 22, 2012 at 09:41 AM.