Thread: New Product DJI Phantom Quadcopter
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:24 AM
Find More Posts by Sad Sack
What's a servo?
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
452 Posts
I guess what I was saying, is why would DJI release another drone that is in the ~450 ~550ish size bracket, and therefore its capabilities are more or less the same as the F450 and F550 frames and systems that they already offer.

They are merely doubling up with packages to offer a certain capability, not offering anything new as such, when it comes to solutions for current gaps in capability.

Sure DJI have made a dent in the industry. I do own two of their controllers, and I think their baro altitude hold is the best in business (or just the best that I have seen), and remember that they started with AP helicopter autopilots way before multirotors were on the scene.

So, unless they are going to have uprated 35 series outrunners, and different propellers (thus formally and officially acknowledging that their current props are not fit for purpose) than I can't see why they are developing this quad.

Perhaps their market research has suggested that clients want an sleek looking monocoque style frame, that is no doubt going to cost a very pretty penny from DJI?
I also suspect heavy integration as standard with their GCS and heavy autonomous operation. So much so that the only customers that could justify the money to afford the system with such a small and niche payload are likely going to be government and state organisations? Could that be it, perhaps?

Personally, and this is certainly not to bash DJI, I guess I just don't see that much room for "another" ~450 sized quad.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack