Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by Dan_D
United States, OH, Amesville
Joined Nov 2012
148 Posts
Bipolar takes over... HELP MEEEEEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Mine weighs 290 grams without battery , but I made it with just one elevator servo and a Y pushrod going to the elevators - stole that idea from FlyingW ! With a 1300mah 3s battery it's a nice , slow , floaty flyer .

Al
While working on the NEKKID SE, having built the first one without much concern for weight, now I am shaving every gram.

In that mode, I had a thought... I can possibly save a few grams by replacing a solid balsa wood stick motor mount with a composite beam. My guess is that the greatest forces on this beam are going to be a vertical bending moment and torsion. With that in mind, I thought that a foam core faced with balsa would have the properties of a box beam with the added advantage that the foam would somewhat help to resist the dimensional constriction when the box torqued... although I don't hold out a lot of hope for huge strength gains because of that factor...

So, I made up such a box beam, and it seems rigid enough... but then again I haven't clamped it into a test stand and tested to destruction. So, I have no clue if this is a known solution, a Really Bad Idea , or a bloody waste of time.

I suspect I should just make a NEKKID SE base model, and then go on to rev 2, 3, 4, 5 once I can actually fly something.

Suggestions ?

And yes, I'm driving to Dayton... with planes, tools, hopes and fears. And a video cam.

Ad Astra, per SE
Dan_D is offline Find More Posts by Dan_D
Last edited by Dan_D; Nov 22, 2012 at 12:47 AM.