Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by StarHopper44
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
7,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Hmmmm .. that is neither accurate or correct. I dead stick most of my gliders ... then again some of them do not have motors on them. Just saying.

I suppose I should add that on page 11 of the Blaze manual, it is shown how to assemble an unpowered glider.
FWIW, my comments didn't pertain to YOU per se, nor only gliders. There aren't sufficient gliders flying (or pilots piloting them) to comprise any majority of the term, "most guys". We're talking all airplanes, & the vast majority are powered. And keep in mind that 1:1 pilots are schooled (can't say they're 'trained' if it doesn't take *LOL*) to not chop throttle completely but to fly the plane down onto the runway, with (reduced) power. Simplest reason - if there's a problem & they need to power out for whatever reason(s) for a go-around.

Nevertheless, I owe an apology I guess, as, I've confused the referenced article with another one I read about the same time....and that one is the one which covers that dead-stick glide-to-touchdown is a 'no-no' point. And alas, I can't find the darn thing now! It's somewhere in my bookmarks, but they'd take 3 days to pick thru. Hopefully the explanation or expressed reasoning here is sufficient to understand the comment. But I'm truly embarassed at my mis-construal of those two essays. Just further proof that my memory is just a memory!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member