Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Landing approaches are fine until it gets too slow during the flare and then falls to the ground, so airspeed has to be kept up higher than normal. This is due to the high AUW and the KFM-4 airfoil. I say that because I am also flying the Tweety Bird which weighs more and has less wing area, but landings are very predictable and easy to grease on. I think the full airfoil has a lower stall speed then the KFM-4 with higher wing loadings.
Lon, I think it is several things that are increasing your stall speed. Your right on about the higher AUW and the KFM4 foil. One more contributor is the swept wing. The dirty birdy has a very modest sweep, which I assume is helping with handling the slower speeds better.

Just for fun, I tried the Patriot on the flight sim and couldn't make a slow landing to save my life. It would just drop out of the air like you mentioned. I then tried the Super sportster with the straight wing, and it would land nice and slow. That wasn't probably the most accurate experiment, but it was entertaining.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain