View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by geoffers0_0
I'd rather be.....
Bristol, UK
Joined Jun 2008
212 Posts
Excellent to see I've awoken the hibernating Axle owners - keep the posts coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang View Post
..... So I built one, just a bit larger than stock. I used a fiberglass arrowshaft for the leading edge hinge line and Robart hinges. It has 3 ribs, 2 sheets of balsa and along the trailing edge is a small piece of 1/64th ply, to make it rigid and allow for super thin trailing edge.
Sounds like the way to go - bigger rudder but less weight. I've got some .5mm thick x 3mm carbon strip which would do just fine for the t/e - bought some Robarts at lunchtime too Will be able to build the rudder and post separate from the fuse, then install it as one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor View Post
Now thats a neat idea for a slidy twisty mechanism
I've got some spare box/blade somewhere - Geoff, PM me if you'd like some of it
Phil: Not quite sure what you mean by "box/blade", but assuming you mean a sliding lid for a box. Many thanks for the offer - I'll PM you shortly.
I was thinking of making a self contained unit - think of a box made out of lite-ply, with PTFE rails & sliders, which I can install or remove as a unit. Have sourced some PTFE & glass filled PTFE samples for a fiver >here<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
The obechi wing skins have mostly delaminated from the foam cores, and I'm pondering how I go about fixing this - try to infuse some epoxy back under the skins, or strip off and glass/carbon skin them instead. Any suggestions ?
Hmmmm - mine look fine, but have a covering of (possibly) Solartex - so that could be hiding delaminated nastiness underneath. I think I'll leave them as they are at the moment.
geoffers0_0 is offline Find More Posts by geoffers0_0