Thread: New Product ST Models Blaze Hotliner
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:59 AM
Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
2,053 Posts
Dear John,
none of this sounds stupid at all and the learning process for the "lone flier" is more than difficult. I can tell you with complete honesty I have trashed more models over time than I would wish to count so you are not alone.

There are difficulties in several areas. The first is being totally honest with yourself in your own ability. Likewise knowing your own shortcomings. Too often we purchase models that either simply appeal when they shouldn't if we thought about it or that someone else says this easy to fly. So another of those difficulties is knowing what his ability is.

If there was a "difficult scale" from 1 - 10 with 1 being ultra easy while 10 is a real b...ch we'll say the Radian is a 1 for me and the Blaze possibly a 3. However for you the scale may be different with the Radian possibly being a 2 - 3 and the Blaze a 4 - 5 so you have to temper anything I say with those things in mind.

Like everything there is no substitute for continual practice. I know a number of modellers who appear to use three settings for the throttle. Full off, full on and somewhere roughly halfway. In reality and with practice the throttle movements may only require a single "click" on the stick up or down to do what is required. Similarly we all get a bit nervous with our handling of the elevator as the ground looms large. All of us have, at one time or another, been a bit heavy pulling on the elevator stick, a zoom results and we get into trouble. Most of the time only the gentlest pressure on the stick would have done the job we really wanted.

A thing most people don't practice is stalling. Do this at altitude but where you can comfortably see what the model is doing. Deliberately stall the model power on and power off also don't do it just into wind but also crosswind and even down wind. When you are fully familiar with the model you'll have a pretty good idea of what it may do close to the ground but you also will be much more used to handling things if they do go wrong.

I drew up a sketch of your field as described and you may be getting a bit of turbulence from the houses or any trees and I think you are right to stay away from the houses anyway.

Your description of the landing seems to indicate that with irregular wind you come in about right but perhaps the wind drops momentarily leaving the model effectively with less air flowing over the wings which is why it drops out of the sky. Been there, done that!

Coming in too fast is reasonably common and given enough room obviously it is not a problem. Because you have a certain amount of restriction on your space so I'm sorry if all I can say is keep on practicing.

Nylon bolts may help but with a model like Blaze shearing off even a nylon bolt involves a fair amount of load.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Last edited by David Hipperson; Nov 21, 2012 at 07:13 PM.