View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by breakwater
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
My viper comes in at 1 lb 15.5 oz with wood deck, rudder, radio and batteries.
- Exactly the point, ALL Ms are different, even ones that are the same.
Probable differences between the Viper I weighed and yours..(aside from the obvious wood deck)
1. My boat was painted (I believe Mark Mason) But painted none-the less and adds weight. (Yes, that matters on a boat that is 1 sheet of kevlar thick.)
2. I have both the swing-rig step, and conventional steps installed. (Most other Vipers I've seen have one or the other)
3. I like a stout rudder servo, I forget exactly what it is, but it's around 100oz/in of torque, and probably weighs double a HS-311
4. I have an RMG 280 in the boat, which is heavy in it's own.

I measure fins like you do. From the bottom of the boat to the top of the lead.

I also have the 19" Viper fin, with a 7lb ballast. I also have (Working from memory) a 17" fin. I sail with the 17" fin most often, because it's lighter lead, and we get light air at Redds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
How deep a boat can Redds pond handle?
In a Really, really, really bad drought year, you aren't safe sailing a 16" Fin. Although that's a rare occasion.
This year, the water never really got low at any point, You would have been safe sailing the 19" fin all year.

As a rule, if we get 1" of rain, the pond level increases 2" due to runoff.

Anything over the 19" fin at any time is not safe at Redds. There are a few ledges to hit. It's quite a disturbing site to watch your lead stop-short and the boat keep sailing.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater