Thread: New Product ST Models Blaze Hotliner
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
2,053 Posts
Reading some posts I occasionally wonder if we are talking about the same model. I must admit that I can only talk for me with my Blaze and set up for me. The Blaze after a lot of flying is still in one piece and no damage whatsoever other than those rather fragile tips which are now reinforced on mine but the damage has been my fault and down to hangar rash.

I find the model so benign and so lacking in tip stalls (if flown correctly) that although I do have it with spoileron arrangement so far I haven't used them. We have a good grass strip but the cut strip is limited for space crosswise and of course the wind just loves blowing across the strip. In still weather the Blaze can be circled tightly down to an altitude of about 4 - 6 feet maybe two hundred feet out and then flown in to drop near the flier. For me it is slightly more awkward when we have a crosswind because I have to hop the Blaze over a low (4ft) fence before reaching the strip.

What I'm saying is not meant to be clever but I feel we may be over thinking this model somewhat. I truly believe it isn't much harder to fly or land than my Radian but much, much easier than my Siren although that has more weight, more inertia. Do whatever each of you want because your model is your model but experience has told me that too much in the way of spoilerons, crow or whatever can be counter productive in very light models.

Without being too much of an old f...t back in the 70's and 80's I mainly flew sailplanes (two meter and 100 inch span) and IC old timer. With those sailplanes most I built and flew had rudder/elevator and sometimes but not often, air brakes. When flying old timers once the engine stopped either deliberately or limited fuel eventually the only way was down. Both types of flying gave you no real option other than to plan your landings very carefully if you wanted the model to land where intended.

The delight with electric is that power usually remains on tap so my current planning is to aim for getting the model into the right location and altitude before bringing it home to a landing point with small increments of power. Of course you do need to know how the model handles low speed and exactly what the stall is like and whether you can recognise it. Once these skills are learned some of the difficulties will reduce or even go away. With the Blaze what you cannot do easily is to have too much speed, shut off the power and assume it will descend like a power model. It is at this point it cruises by at head height and the only choice is to go round again.
David Hipperson is online now Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Last edited by David Hipperson; Nov 20, 2012 at 08:12 PM.