View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd View Post
Golden Bee, undoubtedly a TF nylon 6-3 prop and Apollo 15 fuel. That prop and the 5-1/4x3 were the standard choices in LHS around here, and did any two props take more licking and keep on ticking over the years? Those and Tornado yellow nylon. Didn't see many Cox props. I recall how the blades would bend back from prangs and straighten out again at rpm. Ahhh......
Yes, I never used the Cox props much except for their black nylon ones used on the RTF's. The gray ones were somewhat brittle and less tolerant in crashes, prangs. Also they were more expensive.

I survived on Top Flite, Tornado, Grish, nylons etc. I used mostly 5-1/4x3 and 5-1/4x4 props on my 1/2-A CL's on Cox .049 Babe Bee's, Golden Bee's, and Black Widow's. Those nylon props were nearly indestructible. About the only caveat was balancing them. They were manufactured unbalanced.

I found that a 5-1/4x3 Top Flite prop on my Cox .020 Pee Wee and Top Flite R/C Schoolboy provided the same speed and thrust as the 4-1/2x2 Cox, but provided a minute more flight time due to the lowered RPM's on the Pee Wee.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper