Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:00 AM
Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
7,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txg8gxp View Post
Ok, so i was curious how you guys use snap flap mixing (elevator to camber). Is this something that would be used for normal flying? I have been flying with a small amount of mix, I don't have any issues just wondering what is better. I figured that with alittle mix it would require less elevator to get a certain pitch effect. With that thought I figured that flying with alittle ele-camber mix would create less drag then having to use more elevator to get the same pitch effect. So, am I on the right path or way over thinking things?
Your'e on the right path (although I'm not sure about the drag differences).

It's not about adding camber to get added lift - it's all about angles of attack and stuff that I can't remember ...

One of the most useful things I find with snapflap is in a plane that is set up with as near a neutral CoG as possible, you start approaching the conditions where too much elevator input can cause a vicious snap / spin (particularly with the somewhat nervous V-tailed racing planes). Snapflap allows you to limit the elevator travel right back so as to prevent that scenario, but to then still keep a decent pitch response.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1