Thread: Discussion m5 motocross anderson model
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:54 AM
Find More Posts by Jimob23
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
180 Posts
A while back I posed the question as to why Anderson went to the extent of making the swing arm locating bearing holders eccentric and the assembly instructions are the install with the bearing in the higher position .
I stand to be corrected but I think this could be the answer
On a 1:1 motorcycle if one places a small spacer (6mm) between the top of the rear shock and the frame it has the effect of raising up the rear of the bike .
This uplift then results in the rake angle of steering head becoming more acute making the bike 'turn in' quicker
Just think of a Harley with the long front forks at a very slight angle giving a very relaxed ride compared to a full track bike were the forks close to vertical resulting in turning very quick but also twitchy
The Venom VMX 450 has provision of removable blocks that will have the same effect and they highlight the fact that the lowering or lifting the layshaft will change the steering response
The same will apply to the M5 so good reason to ensure that after reassembly make sure both holders are in the same position .
I have tried them in both positions and did not see any noticable change but this was on rough terrain so may make a change on a smoother surface

Cheers Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23