Thread: Discussion 50% Christen Eagle
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Joined Jan 2009
1,787 Posts
Started cutting out the uper wing parts from the 3mm light Ply carrier sheets (again, CNC routed). They need touch up with the sanding block to take off the carrier nubs (remnants of where the router left the part attached to the sheet). Hardest part is sanding the various notches "sq". The router bit appears to have been 1.5mm in diameter, this leaves a radiused corner on inside cuts, as it changes direction or stops. Tabs either have to be cut square or the slot ends , where the tabs insert have to be squared up. Another pointless PITA that could/should have been addressed in the computer program! Also there are some notable instances of where he notch is either too short of where it should be. Does one lengthen the slot and weakenthe that part, or cut the lengthe of the tab to fit the short slot? Either way one part will be compromised. Nota deal breaker but a lot of (unnessesary?) work.

Since the wing plan for the lowers was shorter than the sum of its CNC routed parts parts, I'm concerned about the jigging for the upper. The upper wings sweep back but there is a short straight section either side of the central upper wing trestle that requires special figging changes. Do I start inboard and let the tip grow past the plan or visa versa? I believe I will go with option one.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit