Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Tom,

Are you (legally) allowed to fly over your local neighborhood like, that and high high were you - above 300ft or does the lens just make it look like about 500ft?

Rubis,

Is that how the battery connector comes mounted or did you modify it to suit your needs.
I only opened my #16 once when I first got it (about this time last year) and can't remember how the connector was mounted and I'm too lazy to open it up again to do a comparison.
So I'm not quite sure what your question is. I think I saw in one of Tom's or ISO's or Comic's? video's that the PCB had to removed to be able to unplug the battery, so I'm guessing that's what you are getting at?

-B!LL!
There's no "law" against my flight, but I'll admit it's not a good idea. I rarely do something like that since it's against our standard AMA guidelines. Aside from that, the plane is a light, foam slow-flyer, so not a particular hazard relatively speaking, and portions of the video are sped up by factors of 2x and 4x, as well as slowed down by a factor of 4X at the "end" (which is really the beginning... the video was shot with the camera facing aft, and then reverse during editing). Also, the wide angle lens does make the plane look a LOT higher than it really is.

The picture Rubis posted does not look like a #16 circuit board to me, but that is beside the point probably. There may be height limitations in changing the orientation of the plug as well. I just loosen the screws holding down the circuit board to let the plug clear the edge of the case. The edge of the circuit board plug can be lifted slightly as I recall.

More important to me is how tight the battery plug fits the socket, requiring a lot of force and/or side-to-side wiggling to get the plug to release. That stresses the solder joints of the tiny socket pins, so I do it carefully and slowly with a tool to work it out of the socket. The same issue would exist if the socket were vertical. I've considered hot gluing the socket to the circuit board to give it some strain relief. Maybe it could be permanently tilted up slightly as well to allow the battery plug to clear the case?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank