Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:24 AM
Find More Posts by dhable
Trader Rating: 28
Let it Be
USA, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Jul 2004
328 Posts
Trader Rating: 28
This might not apply to your local situation.

This is just an observation, after having read all the above posts, and after just having attended the 4th swap meet in the last couple months here in Wisconsin. I offer the following not as a solution to rising shipping costs or the dreaded "LPU" requirements, but as a fun alternative to online ad posting and shopping and shipping.

For the last 6-7 years, with the rise of eBay, Craig's List, RC Groups, etc. those of us who regularly attend swap meets have noticed a definite drop in the number of kits and decently completed and/or ready to go airplanes available for sale. For many many years, many RC enthusiasts around here had establilshed a regular cycle of build, fly, sell at a swap meet, build, fly, sell at a swap meet, etc. With the rise of these online "brokers", the number of kits and completed planes available at swap meets have dropped dramatically.

I'm not saying that online brokers are a problem, quite the contrary. The online brokers open up a whole universe of potential buyers. What I am saying, is that if you are anywhere near a "swap meet community", take advantage of what the swap meets have to offer as a place to buy and sell kits and completed planes, not to mention a ton of other RC and/or hobby-related things, all without having to worry about shipping or LPU. (Yes, I know, you do have to drive to get to a swap meet.)

In Wisconsin, between October and April, we have eight or nine well-established and well-run swap meets, put on by local AMA clubs, all within 100 miles of where I live. And they're fun too!
dhable is offline Find More Posts by dhable
Last edited by dhable; Nov 19, 2012 at 01:13 PM.