Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by diceco
United States, ME, Stonington
Joined Aug 2005
103 Posts
Re Pylon Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSelig View Post
Jack, Might be doable. I looked up the draft rules from the link you have above. On page 4, they have the course. I'm not clear on where the pilots are. I've added a box in pic below in the center of the triangle. Is there where the pilots stand for EF1?
Here is a sentence from the EF1 document explaining where the pilots/callers are located for the three pylon course: Pilots and callers shall stand within the course triangle behind the starting line during the race and shall stay within the course triangle until all airplanes have landed.

I would hope you'd be able to include a couple of options for the course layout. The triangular course and also the two pylon course.

The paragraph describing the two pylon course for EF! is:

D. Two-Pylon Course
1) The two-pylon course shall consist of two pylons placed 400 (123 meters) apart.
2) Pylon #1 shall be at the right of the course and pylon #2 shall be at the left of the course.
3) Pilots and callers shall stand at the center of the two-poles displaced 225 (70 meters) on a
perpendicular line from the line between the pylons.
4) The finish line shall be at the center of the two pylons along the perpendicular line from the line between the pylons.
5) The launch line shall be a diagonal line oriented at 45 to the racecourse centerline located at the finish line. The launch line shall be oriented to best address the wind direction at the time of the heat.

So, it seems on the three pylon course the pilots stand within the course triangle behind the start/finish line which is just within the triangle at it's base. This means the pilots must pivot around continuously in place in order to keep their eyes on the aircraft as it flies around the course.

For the two pylon course they stand half way between the pylons displaced sideways 225 ft. from the line between them. There is therefore not the requirement for the pilot to move orientation as the aircraft flies the course.

Thanks for considering this addition to the program.
diceco is offline Find More Posts by diceco