: Build Log
Foam to Composite Scale Model Mold
View Single Post
Nov 18, 2012
, 05:11 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
As a side project. Prior to doing the plug and now the mold I had been playing with how to build a single piece detailed and scale cowl. The first cowl mold and part pull was a disaster. It was the first time that I had made a resin mold in thirty years. The results proved how bad I was at it. The first part is the ... well I think it obvious?. The rest are just a sampling of the trial and error and how I finally got a nice product.
I have decided to make an entirely new cowl and engine plug using a larger radius to make it more scale and easier to make parts. The new resin mold will now incorporate the entire nose ring with a flat lip at the back so that the engine can be just glued to it.
View all Images in thread
First layup... YUCK Total failure. I trashed the mold and part.
A series of failures and successes.
Now this grey unit would have been perfect if I had only used a good cowl skin. Instead being my first test I used one of the crappy ones. Oh well, a little putty and will be usable.
Made a silicone cast of the radial engine plug. I have learned to always pressure cast any mold with any amount of detail and or depth.
Almost final production cowl which was made in three sections. First layup the cowl skin. then place the skin into the purple silicone mold. Then cast the nose lip and engine in urethane plastic with micro spheres to keep the weight down. This method