View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:54 PM
Find More Posts by cneff
Germany, HE, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
+1 on the above, the unit only sees movement around an axis not relative to the horizon or any other fixed point. Once you have put the aircraft into a bank by rolling for instance the gyro will try to keep the plane at that attitude. Now depending on the gain setting and the type of plane the results will be quite different. For instance lets take a semi scale cub like plane with some dihedral, put that in a bank and its natural aerodynamic tendancy is to level the wings again. The gyro will try to stop it and at normal gain settings the plane will win and it will stabalise back to wings level, but a bit slower. The effect you will notice is damping of the controls. This is good and is what the unit is good at doing, making a planes flight smoother, ideal for onboard video. Turn the gains up too high however and it will fight both your input to put the plane in the bank and also the planes built in stability, the result being a strange sort of jerky flight pattern. Now lets put it in a neutraly stable 3d model that is trimmed to fly perfectly. Put this plane in a bank and as long as you have enough power applied it will continue until you tell it otherwise. Take this to the extreme and roll to knife edge and the gyro (once set up, and that can be a bit time consuming) will keep it there. Once all 3 axis are adjusted it will even keep a 3d model in a stable hands off hover.

Now one thing that some of the larger foamies suffer from is poor coordination in the turn, you often see them in turns dragging the tail low, the gyro can help this as it will try to keep the tail up if it starts to drop (or keep the nose up if it starts to drop)

The trick is finding the 'sweet spot' for the gain pots for the particular plane you have, this will be different for every plane but experimenting will get you to a good starting point. Start low and add more gain until you are happy. Dont start with the gains at the highest and work backwards as the unit will suffer from extreme feedback and the plane will overcorrect then correct itself in a viscious feedback loop that may result in loss of control or in the extreme dissintergration of the model. I had one model that damm near wagged its tail off it oscillated so quickly.......

The perfect outcome is to make your plane smoother to fly, almost like flying a heavier plane with more inertia. I used mine on my Dynam Catalina and it was nice when set up.

There is of course a BUT......I find that with the gains high enough to make a real difference you gett a slightly dissconnected feel to your flight, so I tend to use just one or two axis to get rid of a particular trait, on the Catalina it was pitch that needed smoothing.

Your results will be unique to you as you set up the plane as you like it.

Dave
Totally agree and very good explaination of this little wonder of technic.
Mounted it into my Parkzone BF109 and it's absolut more fun to fly than before.
Greetings from Darmstadt Germany
Peter
cneff is offline Find More Posts by cneff