Thread: Build Log POP = Pitch-O-Plank
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by Quick61
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,704 Posts
Hey Stuart, they are easy enough to build, and even easier to buy. Yea, the Exacto industry may of taken a little hit, though I still use one to cut the tabs. The micro end mill guys on the other hand picked up a new customer. Those .050" end mills are not the cheapest things in the worlds and I have broken 2 already. Bone head moves on my part, setting up the machine for one and way to fast a feed rate in hard material for the other.

Herk, understood. I'll get a pdf up later today of the layout and dimensions. I have yet to draw it as the only 2D CAD work so far has been the cut files. As for the airfoil, I selected the Wortmann FX-66-H-120. Charles Fauvel used this series airfoil on his AV-36 and others,( FX-66-H-159 - the profile at 15.9%). I went with the 12% thickness as the thinner section has MUCH better results in XFLR at the lower re numbers and remained thick enough to make for an easy build. Not shown in the first pic are the elevators. Those have been added as well as increasing the height and length of the fin, as it just seemed a bit small to me.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61