Thread: Build Log Nan Orion
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by Jaguar22
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,315 Posts
I to am working to save weight. Will install Hyperion DS09 AMD's all round. They produce good torque at 2.4 kg/cm or 33.3 oz/in and weight 8.4 g each or 50.4 g (1.78 oz) for all six channels.

I have run these on the elevator of my F5D planes at 200 mph pulling hard pylon turns and F5B elevator / ailerons pulling vertical with 2.5 to 3K watt setups. Life span in these extreme setups is around 20 flight hours to be safe with standard inspection before every flight.

They are great little servos if used correctly and monitored. With the light duty requirements in this air-frame, life cycle should be around 50 hours or better for elevator and maybe flaps if used at high deflections consistently. 50 hours may not sound like a lot but log your actual flight times and see how many years it takes the average pilot to log 50 flight hours on one air frame.

Another thing to help lifespan is limit voltage to 5.5 volts. This lowers heat build up which is the main cause of servo electronics failure that I have experienced. The un detectable speed difference in servo speed from 6 volts will not be felt.
Jaguar22 is offline Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jaguar22; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:27 PM.