Thread: Discussion What am I missing here?
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
4,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
IMO it's required. When it's your plane you can set it up any way you want - I've even seen people do things backwards (Lukas Riva for example, when he wants the helicopter to go up, he pushes down on the throttle stick - opposite from the way everyone else in the world does it, but the guy is a Pro)
And one of the best of examples of not following convention is Jimi Hendrix.
Right handed Fender Stratacastor strung left handed and upside down. But then again, Jimi was a guitar genius unlike the rest of us hackers.
Bluesman Albert King also played right handed guitars upside down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Disabling the ailerons or not using them is not how you turn a plane 3-channel, and I suspect that's the other issue you might have had. A 3-channel plane needs to be specifically designed to turn with the rudder, and most 4-channel planes can not be turned very well with rudder only. Try a proper 3-channel plane like a Champ, Slow Stick, or Easy Star, and you should see the difference - these planes will bank-n-yank with rudder only, but something like a Nexstar/Alpha or Apprentice won't fly well that way.
Well, I did just that with my Ares Gamma 370. I learned to fly with the stock plane which came with a non-aileron wing and subsequently upgraded to an aileron wing with less dihedral and narrower profile. I didn't activate the aileron servo right away as I felt I wasn't quite ready and so flew it 3 channel anyway just to get a feel for the new setup. 10 flights later and an hour on the Phoenix sim doing 4 channel flying, I hooked up the aileron servo.
No problems. I'm glad I did it that way. 75 flights later, its one of my favorite planes.

BTW, as I mentioned in my previous post, The Ares Gamma 370 is great plane and true bargain when compared to the pricing of the the Apprentice.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Nov 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM.