Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by SkyCadet
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
First impressions...

The YAK55 arrived yesterday!

It came reasonably well-packed and arrived with no damage, save a very minor chip on the front of the fiberglass cowl - an easy fix.

IMO, a VERY nicely made product. Well put-together, all hardware is included.

Minor issues: manual is pretty plain, with poorly included pix, however, if one has worked on these models before (balsa ARFs), the construction is rather intuitive.

The slots for servos are marked, but due to the color of the covering in places, are a bit tricky to find. not too bad though... Covering is excellent, and fit of control surfaces on my sample is superb. I'm going to have to custom-fit some ply blocks ot mount my digital HD1810 servos (HKing) in order to fit them, but it's not a big deal. I'll also be color-matching the wood to the underside of the wings (see pic).

I also plan, once my motor/spinner come in from eBay (RCTimer motor, and 2" spinner), I'll be able to do up a custom vane system like the scale YAKs I've seen using a spare 46mm filter ring (photographic) and aluminum 1/8"x1/4" streamline tubing for detailing. The firewall will be blackened, and re-inforced using carbon rod (1/8") and the inner mains gear strut mount will also be reinforced.

More to come!

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!