View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by CONNELLMJ
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
150 Posts
WattsUp build

I am a keen modeler who in the past has concentrated on building model yachts. Some years ago I became interested in model aircraft and concentrated on power gliders. It seemed easier than launching with a winch. I have a Radian PRO, Easy Glider PRO, RCM Pelican Pike, Hawk, and a 3.6 Pulsar. I Have taken part in a number of F5J competitions with no success so far. I would like a competitive glider which I could build myself. I live in the United Kingdon but I am fortunate enough to winter in Spain. I do not like cold weather and neither do my hands. Raynard's Syndrome. I asked around and the choice was limited but standing out was WattsUp, designed by Brian Austin. Brian competes in the Bartletts league which he runs I believe. I spoke to him and he pointed me to Traplet's magazine. I bought the drawing first of all just to get an idea of what is required. I have never built a model aircraft. I have repaired mine on too many occasions. Some months after receiving the drawing and decided this would be a good winter project. Start in November 2012 and finish end of March 2013. I did a material takeoff so that I could make up a complete kit. I used many of the suppliers recommended in Brians write up which is still available. I intend to follow the drawing exactly. The motor will different buts that because I had one. I will be using the glider in F5J next year in the 2 meter class. I have 2.5M and 4M class gliders. I am impressed with the quality of materials purchased. The balsa is excellent. I also bought the wood pack from Traplets with the laser cut parts. I thought as it is a first time it make sense to make it as easy as possible.

I started construction on 16 Nov 2016. I followed Brian's suggestion and started with the elevator (stub). My first impression is that it is very strong. This is a glider that will stand up to competition. In a day the wind can be calm and 20mph in the afternoon. The laser cut parts on the stub do not match the drawing exactly. You can see on the pics the difference. What is consider a margin of error. What is an acceptable tolerance. +/- 5 micron or +/- 1/16" . I have no idea.

I have laid the drawing on a board I brought with me and covered with cellophane so as not to stick to the drawing. It seems to have worked O.K. The laser parts have to cleaned as they they are burnt. I am using Cyno to joint the balsa which I think is better that PVA. All parts have to fit first time. There is no time for mistakes.

I fitted the servo into the boom at home as I could use a stand drill. The servo is a DS09 AMD. This is a hyperion servo with metal gears. If the stub fails you loose the glider it's that simple. The rudder is next.
CONNELLMJ is offline Find More Posts by CONNELLMJ
Last edited by CONNELLMJ; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:11 AM.