Originally Posted by glenbees
Asked a coupe of questions on another thread so best to close that one save having two ongoing threads. I have ordered the plan from Mike and this weekends weather looks a no go for flying so was wondering if any body can give a short list of materiel I will need for the wings so I can go to the LHS and get myself some balsa ready for the build as I think the plan will not arrive in tie for a week end start. Like to have this build ready for next spring if possible.
Welcome to the thread. Wing stock if fairly straight forward, were you going to get the ribs lasercut or are you going to cut them yourself? Obviously it changes the amount of wood stock you need. Assuming you are going to buy the rib set here is what you would need to get started with the main wing. Each wing panel is 28" long so 30" stock will work if you can find it otherwise you are buying the 36" stuff.
* Spars: 1/2" x 1/8" x 30" qty 8 Spruce
* Spreader spar 1/8" x 1/4" x 10" qyt 4 spruce
* Wing sheeting, full sheeted wing, If you can obtain 4" wide pieces then you will need 20 pieces of 1/16" x 4" x 30" if you can only get 3.5 inch material then you will need 24 sheets of 1/16" x 3.5" 30"
* TE stock 1/4" x 1" x 30" qty 4
* brass tubes with an inside diameter of 1/4" 24" total length
* tip block material 6" x 2" x 3/4" qty 2
* sheer webbing, one sheet of 1/16" x 2.5" x 36 maybe a little more.
* 1/8" plywood for wing joiner at the gull wing break, 12" square should do it.
* some leading edge material.
This should get you started. If you are going to cut your own ribs then you will need some 1/16 plywood and probably another 8 sheets of 16" stock