Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
13,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
When I was there in 06 a guy landed his sloper down on the beach and walked down. The people that had it had "rekitted it" and threatened him with bodily harm as well. I hadn't heard of it being quite that contentious prior to that. I was careful to stay in the main lift bubble the entire time
Wow. That's a completely different atmosphere than when I used to hang out at Black's Beach. Pretty much everyone down there was mellow back then. The hang-glider guys landed on the beach & carried their gliders back up & seemed like most of the beach-goers thought it was cool. I remember thinking that the glider pilots had to be seriously dedicated to fly from there, though. That has to be a tough haul back up, carrying a hang-glider on your back. I thought it was tough enough just carrying a few beach items, and I was in great shape back then.

Back to the RP - we haven't had any soaring wx since back when I got the videos & book. I finished the book & I've watched all three videos twice. Next week it's supposed to be up into the mid-50s & sunny, with single-digit winds, and lows in the 20s & 30s. That aught to scare up some lift over the bare sod-farm field, just south of the runway. Hope they're right.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 15, 2012 at 07:50 PM.