View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by viking60
High Altitude Flyer
Fairplay, South Park, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,640 Posts
The ~3/16" thick trailing edges on the elevator, rudder, and wing's trailing edge are something that offers room for improvement. So I took my foam drywall sanding block (3M brand bought at Walmart) to the elevator & rudder (after drawing a center line on each trailing edge.) Yes, it takes time to do, but these EPO foam trialing edges can be nicely thinned down to under 1mm thickness.

I then ironed on Fluorescent orange Oracover on the elevator's trailing edge, wrapping one piece continuously from top to bottom. After working over the rudder's trailing edge, I ironed on some 1.5 mil clear Doculam film. Both of these materials adhere well at temperatures which are low enough to not distort the EPO foam- the trick is to just keep the temperature low (~260 degrees F ) & not get in a hurry.

The photo below shows the results.

Doing the wing's entire trailing edge will take some time, but before I go further, I'm inclined to go ahead and do a thorough job of it. I'll shape that towards the existing bottom surface edge. From everything I have experienced over the years, I'm thinking that the improvement as far as reduced drag & improved glide efficiency should be worth the effort. I want to do this task before painting the wing's bottom with Krylon Fluorescent Orange paint.... These aging eyes do like a highly visible bottom when it's riding a thermal waaaaay up there, trying to speck out amongst the clouds!

VIKING
viking60 is offline Find More Posts by viking60
Last edited by viking60; Nov 17, 2012 at 07:49 AM.