View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by woodenshoe
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
214 Posts
Isn't that cool! In such a head wind the control surfaces have a lot of air moving over them. (20mph) Most of the movement on the slope (when I slope ) is timed "leverage". Bank it so the wind really cranks up your air speed and then up elevator. The Danger spots that I experience on the Evolution is the downwind handling (torward the slope).. you need to keep the nose down or nothing happens..( either use rudder in the bank or elevator to push nose down.) I use my rudder on the height of the high bank turn to whip the tail around and sometimes on the cross slope ride to keep the nose into the wind. The Phoenix's wings are wide, so a tip stall is pretty hard to induce unlike a high aspect ratio wing,. ie FOX or ASW, which I also fly on the slope. There is nothing like sloping... even better with a group of friends who are flying in close proximity on the same lift. This hill is really a small hill (30ft) and not very good for sloping...but it's still a flyable site and close to my house so I can get out in the best window for it's conditions.
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe