Thread: Help! Question on Wing Washout
View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,823 Posts
Two and a half degrees of wash out is a substantial amount and should be more than ample in my opinion. I don't think I've ever used more than two degrees in any of my designs and, in fact, I only used about a degree on my Yak-11 racer and it has a very highly tapered wing. Even so it is very docile around the stall and does not have a violent wing drop at slow speed nor is it prone to high speed snaps. I would say that it is imperative to make sure that you build accurately so that both wings have identical wash out. Beyond that the best thing you can do to prevent snapiness is build light. (Not really an option with an ARF, I understand that.) Anyway, I've successfully used somewhere between 1 and 2 degrees of wash out on two different Yak-11's, a Ki-61 Tony, and a Grumman Hellcat. Also, I have a Midwest Harvard which I think has around 2 or 2.5 degrees and it is not prone to snapping though it will drop a wing if you get it too slow. However, it can be picked right back up again with proper use of the rudder and is not what I would consider violent. (And I've had a few airplanes that were violent at the stall so I know what that looks like!) Anyway, I think you will be just fine on the big, fat Bearcat wing with 2.5 degrees of wash out. My .02 cents anyway.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich