Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
22,710 Posts
Sorry, I meant I bevel on side of the hinge

ie

not top and bottom just one side, but on both sides of hinge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
Well, we've built a few EPP foamies and never do either. We never bevel both sides, only the bottom and then we only use a smashed welders bead on top. You could cut a welder's hinge that is to stiff and use less to hinge on the next attempt. Putting heavy weights on the aileron with it bent all the way to the non beveled edge could help decide if a hinge really needs to be cut or not. When determined to cut and reglue, the important thing is to let the surfaces touch, lay a bead of glue and then smash the bead flat so as to spread it. To stop aileron twist, we used flat carbon along the back of the aileron. See the video in the review thread. The twist may be noticable and really may reduce flyability. With the right power combo, that little bit of added weight from carbon strips won't matter. I wouldn't use CA hinges. Last week I got some real nice little tiny piano-hinge-style hinges from HeadsUpRC.com. They might work on something like this but EPP and Welders kind of "go together." The twist was the primary thing in need of correction on our build. Good luck and happy flying!
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29