View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Suomi, Lšnsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
I hope for you it's a "real" one, not the touch-sensitive foils Graupner and Futaba have all been putting in their latest radios - it's really awful.

The JR-style roller is the fastest entry mode I've used on any radio.
I agree on the touch sensitive foils, these are really bad particularly on cold conditions.

However, the JR style roller is an ergonomical disaster as well, because pushing is needed for both, adjusting and selecting, you end up doing errors after errors particularly if you can't have a good touch on the roller (you have gloves on or your hands are cold etc.).

The normal rotary encoder needs push for selecting and turn for adjusting, so you can make adjustments easily even with the gloves on. I don't think that there is any practical difference in adjusting speed between the roller and the normal rotary encoder even at optimal conditions, however, at worse conditions the normal rotary encoder is superior by far.

There is millions of mouses with rollers on use all the time and every second probably hundreds of people accidentally enter to mouse browsing mode due the same ergonomical problem as on the JR style roller.
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl