View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by whichwaysup
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,185 Posts
Maiden Flight

Well, I promised a video of the maiden flight, so here it is. Unfortunately, it didn't go so well. If you get this bird, CHECK YOUR AILERONS FOR REVERSAL!!! I made the rookie mistake of checking for movement during the preflight, but not checking direction. Luckily, the damage was fairly minor: Smashed cowling, torn out motor mount, separated rudder, and broken landing gear. Here's the vid, you'll see the immediate roll where I realized things were reversed.

Sbach maiden with Ailerons reversed (0 min 24 sec)

By the way, you'll notice it trying to dive in the video - my elevator is very warped, and what looked like "neutral" from the side was actually a lot of down elevator, so not only was I trying to remember to fly with reversed ailerons, I was having to keep backstick on it since there was no chance to adjust trim. The fact that I put her in this gently was a miracle.

The good news is that I had her fixed up in less than an hour, and the second maiden went beautifully. This is an AWESOME plane, and the power is very impressive! A couple things I learned for others to think about prior to maiden:

1) Did I mention to check the ailerons for direction?
2) Full power on take off is a really bad idea. You get very significant yaw, as you will see in my video. She takes off just fine at about 1/2 throttle.
3) Secure the battery well. Unlike some models, there is nothing that will keep this battery from sliding all the way back into the fuse if it comes free. Don't ask me how I know.
4) Given how hard the cowling is to replace, it might be a good idea to maiden it WITHOUT it. Chances are, if something is going to go wrong, it will be most likely to go wrong on the maiden. If I had removed the cowl for maiden, I would still have a prestine looking airplane.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings