View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:24 AM
Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
716 Posts
@danielwow:

Batteriies first - I use the 5xAA 2300 ESD NiMh packs from HobbyKing they will last all day with anything up to and including an A class. Works for me...

You are also asking for advice on what boat.....big question, there will be lots of opinions - my two cents worth:
1) Have a think about how much money you want to outlay
2) If there is anyone nearby sailing already, consider something similar
3) Consider the size - relating to storage and transport - a one metre boat will be nearly two metres high fully rigged
4) Consider the sailing location - shallow ponds mean smaller boats
5) Small boats (eg 500mm) are much more tricky to sail than larger boats (eg 1000mm) Larger boats are faster. Smaller boats need less draught

You are wary of HobbyKing - from my experience you get what you pay for. I have three Chinese boats (two of them from HobbyKing) Example - a 1 metre Phantom plus batteries plus charger plus Hobbyking TX and RX plus freight comes out under $200 in most cases. The Phantom is a great boat for the price. Ditto for the 800mm Surmount and the 900mm Monsoon. Yes they do go better and reliability improves with some simple modifications.

Further up the price scale are a wide and varied range that others will no doubt be able to advise you on....

Hope this helps....
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin