Thread: Discussion Tupolev model 91
View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by DR. JOY
Stay thirsty my friends.
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Feb 2003
1,086 Posts
Thank you Phil. I hope to get it out this week and fly it. I am still going to put larger wheels on it prior to that. Other than that there is nothing else to do to it at this point.

My next build should be a little nicer as it has taken some effort to get back into building my own. I don't think I would build anything to museum quality standards as I do not possess the skills needed. For me; I just wanted to build something you do not see everyday. Three months from the decision to completion isn't too bad. Granted it is not fancy, but, I learned a few things along the way. I learned (again) that I have trouble with balsa dust. I had originally planned to carve the cowling from balsa blocks, but, got such eye irritation even with goggles and respirator mask on that I had to abandon that and use foam,

For the next project I had thought of mildly bashing a Spitfire kit into one of the later variants with contra-rotating props. I have a GWS spitfire kit that I put together from spare parts and I have what appears to be an appropriate motor. At any rate I have too many ideas and I need to make up my mind. I am also having to brush up on my flying skills as I have flown very little over the past year due to family issues. (It is also easy to stay on the computer talking about models instead of actually flying them and building them.) So I have the Slow Stick and P-47 out and plan on taking them to fly this afternoon. I will likely get a friend of mine to maiden the Tu-91 as he is a much better pilot and is out flying just about every day. He has some 30 years or more time on the sticks. I trust him much more than I trust myself. Anyway; enough rambling. Time to change out the wheels.
DR. JOY is online now Find More Posts by DR. JOY
Last edited by DR. JOY; Nov 12, 2012 at 09:50 AM.