View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by Scooch
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
I would not bother at first. My experience with my Sky Trainer 55 inch is a very robust Nose Wheel Strut even though it "is" not spring loaded to absorb hard landings. If you can tighten the set screw that keeps the strut from turning on its own then, it will be okay, IMO.

I have posted numerous postings of my Ugly Landing on tall grass and at a high rate of speed that the nose gear (Strut) caught and resulted with the model to completely flip upside down.

The Strut was bent very badly and I almost changed it out with the Dubro type that has been recommended here, however, I had some time one lazy evening and disassembled the entire Nose Wheel Assembly and took the Nose Wheel Strut in my hands and carefully bent it back in shape in order to slide back in the plastic parts (tight Tolerance).

It is your choice but, IMO, there is no need for changing out things right off the gate.
I disagree with this statement. The front gear is a known weakness in this plane. I think it is the first thing that needs to be changed. The fix is quick, simple, and cheap. Switch it out and save yourself the aggravation of having a day of flying ruined because of bent gear. Another reason to change the front gear to the spring loaded dubro is that the spring will absorb some of the impact, lessening the stress on the firewall.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch