View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
Yes, lighter does fly better. But having something with a little bit of weight (provided it still has reasonable wing loading) and adequate power is also probably the best way to handle the wind, like where we live. I am getting ready to start on Pat Tritle's One-For-Tea, which is 48" with a target weight of only 12 ounces. Should be an absolutely fabulous flyer, ...but I worry about how it will handle our wind. Looks like yours is a very similar type of plane.
Not familiar with the OFT Tony, but yes, the Mambo is not a windy weather flier. It can handle winds to 15 MPH by adding a 1/32 to 1/16 inch shim under the wing trailing edge, but beyond that, no. That is why I have something else in the hangar that is larger. IMO, ideal windy weather plane is something of the order of nitro .15 to .25 or electric equivalent, with at least semi neutral stability of around 42" to 50" span. Definitely not a park flyer type plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker View Post
Polyspan is what the Jr Falcon Gene is referring to is covered with. Has silkspan covering on fuse with dope sealing & filler and KlassKote color. AUP was 14 oz.
Yes, thanks for clarifying, John, that is what was invisioning going on. I went to plastic covering on the Minnie, because it was what I had available at the time. However with a stronger motor, the .061 will be able to provide decent performance. If from scratch totally, I would have gone with Polyspan. I like the tissue like appearance, better than transparent lite plastic coverings.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Last edited by OkiThumper; Nov 11, 2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: correct grammer