Thread: Discussion Sky Surfer aka Bixler FPV
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
BCSaltchucker is offline
Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
7,520 Posts
Crashproofing the Nose of the Skysurfer/Bixler: I am sure this has been done by dozens of folks before, but just though I would refresh the idea with some improvements.

I wanted to solve 2 of the major shortcomings of the Easy star type planes we all love to fly: improve access to the hatch area and preventing destruction of the front fuse walls during nose-in crashes

I cut the hatch towards the nose a few more inches. Then I Gorilla Glued some ply walls to the sides. The poly GGlue expanded and fills around the foam and ply making it very stout. I then made a new hatch cover with plywood, which adds a third side to the plywood box. Retained with a bit of chopstick going into a hole in the nose cone, then velcro strap to the outside of the fuse in back. Also convenient for all my FPV electronics.

Now I have had some real nasty crashes lately with this setup. Yesterday overshot the landing zone and went headlong into a fence. With Zero damage! No crumpling of the foam sides, as we usually see.

I now now easily fit large batteries in there. A 3300 slides in under the wing, and there is still room for maybe another 6000 mah in the front (though not sure if this plane could haul that much!). I also shielded the power wires from the video system and servo wires - the video reception is now much better than my Zephyr, which has 3x the video wattage.

Note: the sides were already bent a bit from pre-reinforcement crashes

(The bamboo 'horns' at the front are for an elastic to hold the HD cam down onto the velcro)



BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote