Thread: Discussion 50's Style Kneeler
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by Slowboat510
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2011
32 Posts
Driver and Engine Cowl: These are in process. I'm glad to hear you are following the progress and looking forward to updates. They are not progressing as fast as they could. I have to balance work, school and family, but I will keep this project moving forward and post updates. I'm looking forward to completing them.
Cornering/Tail Hop: Yes, you noticed the tail hop. I think this is mostly due to moving the batteries farther and farther forward. In my picklefork 1/4 scale kneelers, this is not a problem but in a shovelnose. Keeping it on the water is the biggest challenge. I knew this when I designed it and put every trick I know into the design to keep it on the water. The other factors of course are propeller and set up. I have only scratched the surface there.
Cornering/Direction: Chinewalker is correct. For this boat, I consiously set this up for left hand for scale purposes. Mostly, the intent for this boat was scale over racing but early indications are that it can handle the speed for racing. Interestingly, getting an outboard hydro to turn right is proving very difficult. This is a common challenge for those building and racing 1/4 Scale Kneelers. When turning right, they want to spin out very easily. They are ultra sensitive to the c/g to fin placement relationship. The prop rotation is the stock direction. I also plan to build a 1/4 scale shovelnose for nitro racing in the 20 Stock Kneeler class that is popular in the Northwest. That boat will be set up to turn right.
Slowboat510 is offline Find More Posts by Slowboat510