View Single Post
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by CrazyLittle
United States, OH, Brilliant
Joined Sep 2011
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolladay View Post
explain the shellacking they got on Tuesday.
I'm sure a few LTUP conservatives will roll their eyes at this, but I don't think Obama's win on Tuesday was a shellacking. It was a huge victory over the states, and it was a very close election among the popular vote, and that's because the GOP's Southern Strategy is very effective at courting the white vote in the south. Just like voting for Obama in California is a "wasted vote," so was voting for Romney in the deep red state. Obama's big territory win was really just proof of a better GOTV strategy in the states that actually mattered. Remember that Romney's last ad buys at the end of the campaign were flooding the media market in PA during the last week. That's wasted money. It's money that should have been spent in Ohio months ago in preparation... but no, pretty much all of Romney's campaign seemed to be reactionary and ill-planned.

The problem with running up the popular vote like that for the GOP is that they can't "flip flop" as easily as Romney did and disavow all the hatred and racism and bigotry. If they try to court the minority vote then they're going to lose their largest monolithic voting block: Southern whites. And quite frankly there isn't a demographic that the GOP could divide and peel off to gain a victory without jeopardizing the Southern white vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolladay View Post
See, I think Roves ideas can only go so far, and I think this election proved that.
Yeah, unfortunately for the GOP, they've pushed themselves so far off to the right that I don't see any path where they could bring back the center voters, much less any minority. Like I said, they would have to shake down everything in order to re-organize.

Quote from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Did you see the demographics? Obama carried 90 some odd percent of the black vote. Not surprising to me. I had not talked to a single black person that wasn't voting for him. He also carried the Hispanic vote by a huge margin. He got the women vote too and what's left? White evangelicals.... Maybe it's time the republicans started looking for a way to appeal to someone else too.
So yeah maybe I'm "stuck in the past" but history is the best predictor of the future.
CrazyLittle is offline Find More Posts by CrazyLittle
Last edited by CrazyLittle; Nov 10, 2012 at 01:47 PM.