Thread: Discussion TP52 builders/sailors wanted
View Single Post
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by iBoat
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
Carbon

Mike,

Why can't a home builder do carbon ? Bought by an individual carbon can be had for this boat for about $140. Maybe less. I bought a roll of it which is far cheaper.

Now, the question, where do I want it to go? Wherever it goes... I'll be offering up hulls for pretty little money, so if you want to get a hull for $250 or so, exact cost to be determined based on total bill of materials, it's going to be feasible.

The big misconception, is that carbon is better than glass. That may or may not be true. Carbon is more stiff per weight, however, 10oz carbon weighs the same as 10oz glass. Your boat might be more stiff however.

I recently built a 1.7m boat. All carbon with a glass outer shell. I think in a class where there is a limited keel weight, and an all up boat weight, there is no real advantage to carbon over glass. Not at this scale. We dont experience the loads that makes it beneficial. So going with either product, would be equally suitable. Mot people don't even build with carbon correctly, weave in wrong direction, or what not.... If you understand weave and modulus, you can make a pretty stiff glass boat at this scale easily.

The goal here is to have a scale racing boat. No an iom, or a one meter... Or anything along those lines... It should be a working model of the real thing, with obvious limits of scale and rc.
iBoat is offline Find More Posts by iBoat