View Single Post
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by acesimmer
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,427 Posts
And here we are now caught up and almost ready to layup the mold. Sorry that My pics and write ups are so out of sequence but I'm trying to do this update all in one go. So today is the day that I assemble it all together and begin the long molding process starting tomorrow morning.

Now here is the rub..... How much detail do you add to your models?. Well a couple of months ago I was at the Reno air races and came across a newly restored T-28. The owner pilot was gracious enough to allow me to crawl all over his nice new bird and take lots of pics. My intent was to be reasonably scale. Then seeing J Morgans models I had to go a few steps further. So I began laying out the panels to be raised and over lapping and just go full out. Then I was online and saw a model that was detailed exact to scale and was also a very large 1/4 or larger scale model. In truth it would look like crap on a smaller model of my size. Just to many rivets and panels would be distracting and look like my model had the pox.

This is because it is extremely difficult to make rivets that small that would look good yet still show up after a coat of paint. So a balance must be found. I made my own Rosy Riveter tool so I could get the size that I wanted. I mixed up a blend of Tight bond yellow carpenter glue with about 10% Elmers white glue then added water to get the right drip consistency. I then spent a few hours applying rivets or well Rosy did at least. She was a bit wobbly to begin with but soon got the hang of it. So the final result is that I used the main panels with rivets but decided not to do the rivets within the panels that would be holding down the panels to the ribs and stations. The test piece that I did was so crowded with little dots that you really could not make the actual detail out. So I'm glad that I resisted to much detail. Once painted and decals attached I think this will look very nice.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer