View Single Post
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by acesimmer
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,427 Posts
Time to experiment.

One of the hardest parts on this model is the detailed engine cowl. I decided to make this in three parts. Two halves for the cowl itself and a silicone casting of the radial engine. I would then layup the cowl halves and seem with tape or just lay it up in one piece. Then I would pour a casting of the radial engine and then attaché the two units together.

So I filled in the top engine to make a parting plane then formed up the the two mold halves. The first set of molds did not work out due to the cowl nose being very sharp and causing a release problem from the molds. So I changed my plan of attack and made a silicone cast of both the engine and front cowl nose in one part. Then I attach the cowl halves together and lay them on the silicone mold in the correct position. I then pour the resin mixed with fillers to reduce weight directly in to the silicone mold and when dry they are welded together forming a one piece unit. The weight came out a few grams lighter than the original which is plus one for me. yeah baby!
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer