: Build Log
Foam to Composite Scale Model Mold
View Single Post
Nov 09, 2012
, 09:08 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
Time to experiment.
One of the hardest parts on this model is the detailed engine cowl. I decided to make this in three parts. Two halves for the cowl itself and a silicone casting of the radial engine. I would then layup the cowl halves and seem with tape or just lay it up in one piece. Then I would pour a casting of the radial engine and then attaché the two units together.
So I filled in the top engine to make a parting plane then formed up the the two mold halves. The first set of molds did not work out due to the cowl nose being very sharp and causing a release problem from the molds. So I changed my plan of attack and made a silicone cast of both the engine and front cowl nose in one part. Then I attach the cowl halves together and lay them on the silicone mold in the correct position. I then pour the resin mixed with fillers to reduce weight directly in to the silicone mold and when dry they are welded together forming a one piece unit. The weight came out a few grams lighter than the original which is plus one for me. yeah baby!
View all Images in thread
Prepped and parting plane installed. Putty around edges to make a fine separation edge.
First mold half with tooling coat.